Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Just Keep Pushing On

By Rathana Puth

This blog was developed as part of the Voices of Youth blogging internship assignment requirement. Views expressed here are those of the author's and do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of UNICEF.

©Eric Thomas

One day in the middle of a party I was sitting next to my dad, his wife, and her two children. My dad was drinking and I could tell he was drunk. At that time, my step brother was playing and talking so loud that everyone seemed to get annoyed by him, even myself. But I didn't say anything because I knew that was how kids play. But my dad wasn't a patient person, so he shouted at  the boy to stop playing. Finally he said, "You are not my son".

That sentence drove my attention towards my dad and the boy. We weren't really close but I felt really sorry for the boy. There was nothing I could do but watch, and from the look on his face, I could tell he was really upset and was about to cry. At that moment it reminded me of when I used to hear those words from my own mom and how it had hurt so much. And how I had to live in a difficult life after my parents’ divorce, how I had to deal with a lot of emotions running through my head and sometimes I wasn’t even sure how to keep myself strong.  
I know that sometimes people say things they don’t mean when they are drunk, but words are bullets that could kill. So, I felt really sorry for my step brother.  I was worried that he would hold on to those mean words and drown himself into a dark place, like where I had been.

I think this situation must have happened on most of us whose parents got divorced and got married again. All I wanted to say is I know it's hard to live without both of your parents. You're lucky if one of your parents gets married to someone who's great and loves you but if not, you just have to keep fighting for your own good. If everything goes out of control, you need to tell your mom or dad about the problem and ask them to find the solution.

Please do not keep everything inside you. Most of the time, you think you can handle it, but you can’t honey! I don't want you to hide everything in your heart. I want you to open up and find the right person to talk, someone who you believe in and trust. Or maybe you can cry because crying is not an embarrassing thing to do. It helps you release stress and make you feel better, so cry if you need to and just keep pushing on.


No comments:

Post a Comment