Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Growing up in Cambodia: Saihaan, 13, Kampong Speu Province

As told to Eva Khattri

Saihaan, aged 13, wants to become a Doctor and help save people’s lives.
© UNICEF Cambodia/2014/Eva Khattri

My name is Saihaan and I am 13 years old. I dropped out of school when I wasin grade 3 because my family kept moving from one place to another. But I could go back to school in grade 4. Now I take Accelerated Learning Classes for grades 5 and 6 in the Primary School of Svay Char in Kong Peseiy district of Kampong Speu province. My teachers tell me that if I study well and pass my exams, I will reach grade 7 at the right age.

Saihaan, in at school in, Kampong Speu Province.
© UNICEF Cambodia/2014/Eva Khattri

My father is a soldier and he lives in Oural District which is about 70kms away from where I live with my mother who is a housewife. My father comes home once a month. I am the second youngest in a family of eight children. One of my older sisters is married and lives in China with her family. My other brothers and sisters are looking for work in Phnom Penh.

I cycle to school every day with my friends. I enjoy studying the Khmer language and Science. I like doing my homework everyday but I can’t memorise my lessons properly. I want to learn the English language, also because it will help me in my studies when I am older. I love going to school because I like my friends and teachers. I am best friends with Thim because we like the same things.

Saihaan helps to keep his school compounds clean.
© UNICEF Cambodia/2014/Eva Khattri

Sometimes, I help keep the school compounds clean. At home, I help by feeding the chickens and at times by cooking rice. I am in the volleyball team of my school. I enjoy playing Volleyball a lot. If I had one wish right now, I would want a big and comfortable house for my family. And when I grow up I want to become a doctor so that I can help save people’s lives.

1 comment: