Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Growing up in Cambodia: Sokha, 13, Kampong Speu province

As told by Eva Khattri

Sokha, aged 13, wants to become a police officer when he grows up.
© UNICEF Cambodia/2014/Eva Khattri

My name is Sokha and I am 13 years old. I live with my older sister who is married. My parents are construction workers in Thailand. My other sister and my two brothers live with them in Thailand. My parents send me money so that I can go to school.

I am from Kong Peseiy District of Kampong Speu province. I moved to Kandal province when I was in grade 4. Later we moved to Kampong Speu and I now study in the Primary School of Svay Char. I take Accelerated Learning classes for grades 5 and 6 because I dropped out of school.

I cycle to school every day with my best friends Thim and Maeng. Only when I feel sick, I don’t go to school but to the health centre in my community instead. I like going to school because my teachers are good and I can play with my friends. I like playing football. I am very good in Mathematics but don’t understand Khmer much. I like the way my teacher teaches but I want him to explain to me more about the Khmer language. I do my homework every day.


Sokha’s school Primary School of Svay Char, Kampong Speu Province
© UNICEF Cambodia/2014/Eva Khattri

At home, I help my sister by going to the mountains to cut small trees for firewood. Sometimes, I also cook rice. At times, my sister scolds me when I am lazy and that makes me feel sad.

I also don’t like the people in my village gambling. They become addicted to it and don’t care anymore about other things. And they lose their money. When I grow up, I want to become a police officer. Then I will stop them from losing money on gambling.


Sokha, in the playground of his school, where he plays with his friends.
© UNICEF Cambodia/2014/Eva Khattri

No comments:

Post a Comment